JAMAICA CRICKET Association (JCA) Cricket Operations and Development Manager O’Neil Cruickshank denies a report that local print media are not permitted at Sabina Park for the ongoing white ball series between the West Indies and Ireland.
Additionally, Cruickshank suggests that a statement made by Cricket West Indies (CWI) Commercial, Marketing and Communications Director Dominic Warne went over the line.
On Friday, Warne had confirmed that no print media was allowed at the matches, which take place from January 8-16. However, Cruickshank was mystified by the remarks and said that was not the case.
“I find it very strange that CWI can say that the media are not invited to an event. CWI cannot come to Jamaica and exclude the media. The media are there to report. CWI may not hire the media, but we cannot prevent the media. It’s an event,” Cruickshank said.
Warne had explained that the decision not to have media at games was “to manage the risk of COVID transmissions”.
Upon hearing the news there would be no print media at the games, this newspaper contacted the Minister for Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange, who quickly updated Cruickshank on the development. The JCA says it will clarify and rectify the situation immediately.
“I think there is a misunderstanding and therefore I will speak with my CEO and we will somehow contact the media to let them know they are allowed to attend the games.”
The Department for Local Government and Rural Development had earlier announced that no spectators would be allowed at cricket matches “specifically”, the international cricket, one-day and T20 matches between the West Indies and Ireland, scheduled for Jan. 8-16 at Sabina Park, in light of the rising COVID-19 positivity rate and the threat of the Omicron variant.